When I’m craving comfort food, I instantly think of meatballs. Call me crazy, but tender. juicy meatballs drowned in sauce and cheese just rocks my socks. This meatball recipe is super versatile, and ridiculously dreamy – just look at that cheese!
I usually prefer 85/15 ground turkey for my meatballs, but you can also make these with ground beef or pork with equally delicious results. In fact, I encourage you to get creative and mix up the meat and herbiage options for DELISH results.
Meatball parmesan is the type of food that brings people together. I’m convinced that world peace could be achieved over a plate of these. Served them over pasta, or with a salad and some crusty garlic bread, it’s impossible not be a happy person with a plateful of cheesy meatballs.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 20 oz. package of lean ground turkey (about 1⅓ lbs)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan) cheese
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, minced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in pan on medium heat heat and add the onions.
- The onions should be very soft and aromatic but have no color.
- Add the garlic and the crushed red pepper and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, egg, Parmigiano, onion/garlic mixture, parsley, bread crumbs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Use a fork or your hands to combine the mixture, it will be moist.
- Test the seasoning of the mix by making a mini hamburger size patty and cooking it. The mixture should taste really good! If it doesn't, it is probably missing salt.
- Shape the meat into desired size.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Brown the meatballs on both sides, then set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a 8x8 baking dish with marinara sauce, the lay the meatballs on top.
- Cover them with the rest of the sauce.
- Top the meatballs with both types of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Serve hot.
Go make the world a better place with these cheesy meatball sliders. You can thank me later.