Chicken breasts can be so blah. I don’t know about you, but there’s only so many grilled chicken breasts I can take before I start going batty. Sometimes you gotta switch things up to make them interesting again! These chicken roulades are a great way to do that! Chicken roulade is a fancy way of saying a chicken roll up, which is precisely what these are. Chicken pinwheels filled with tender spinach, tangy feta and sweet sun dried tomatoes, does it get better than that? I think not. These are easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet fancy enough for dinner guests. Break your chicken breasts free from monotony and make this recipe. You can thank me later.
2 chicken breasts, split in half and pounded to 1/4″ thickness
1/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1.5 oz crumbled feta
8 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Oil mister or cooking spray
Salt & Pepper
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Chop the sundried tomatos, and crumble the feta cheese.
Toss the tomatoes and feta into a bowl, then add the drained spinach. Make sure it’s super dry, you don’t want your filling to be watery. That’s just gross, and we don’t do gross here.
Toss around those 3 ingredients, then toss in 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan and the cream cheese.
Incorporate the cream cheese thoroughly, it will be what holds your filling together. I use my hands to do this, it’s way easier than fighting with a spatula.
Spread a quarter of the filling onto each chicken breast, making sure to spread it evenly. You want to cover the whole piece with filling.
Roll up the roulade tightly, and place seam side down. No need for toothpicks here!
Repeat with the other roulades and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the outside with salt, pepper and the chopped thyme. Finally, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese, and mist them with oil or cooking spray.
Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is almost done. Broil for another 5 minutes to get a golden color on top.
Serve with my lowfat garlic parmesan mashed potatoes!
- 2 chicken breasts (halved & pounded thin ¼")
- ⅓ cup frozen chopped spinach (thawed & squeezed dry)
- 8 sun dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1.5oz crumbled feta
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 2 sprigs thyme (leaves removed and chopped)
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil mister or cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the sundried tomatoes, feta, spinach, cream cheese & ½ of the parmesan.
- Layer each halved chicken breast with ¼ of the mixture, covering each piece evenly.
- Roll up each roulade and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
- Season each roulade with salt, pepper, thyme and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until almost cooked.
- Broil for 5 minutes to promote browning. Serve immediately.